Dear D57 Families,
I hope this email finds you enjoying your summer! We are filled with excitement about the 2022-2023 school year, which is quickly approaching. Please take a moment to read the following information about the upcoming school year.
Back to School
- August 15-17 Staff Institute Days (Non-Attendance Days for Students)
- Thursday, August 18 First Day for Grades 1-8
- Monday, August 22 First Day for Kindergarten
- Thursday, August 25 First Day for Circle of Friends Preschool
Please take a moment to review the D57 Safety and Operational Guidance regarding COVID-19.
- Face masks are optional for students, staff, and volunteers.
- Per CDC & IDPH, individuals who are COVID positive are recommended to wear a well-fitting mask for 5 full days after the conclusion of their 5-day isolation period.
- District 57 will continue to make masks available to students and staff upon request.
Positive COVID-19 test or exhibiting symptoms
- Consistent with pre-COVID practices, individuals will be excluded for fever, vomiting, and diarrhea and may return to school/work if fever-free for 24 hours without fever-reducing medication, and vomit/diarrhea free for 24 hours.
- When individuals test positive for COVID, regardless of vaccination status, they will be excluded for a minimum of 5 days from the onset of symptoms or from the specimen collection date from a positive viral test for asymptomatic persons.
- Return to school occurs after 5 days if fever-free for 24 hours without fever-reducing medication, vomit/diarrhea free for 24 hours, and symptoms are improving. Individuals should continue to wear a mask around others for 5 additional days after returning to school.
- Physical distancing will return to pre-COVID norms.
- It is encouraged for students and staff to check in with their doctor or get tested if they have symptoms or if they are a close contact.
- The community has access to free community test sites through IDPH.
Hand Hygiene and Respiratory Etiquette
- Students and staff should regularly wash hands with soap and water for 20 seconds. Where handwashing cannot occur, students and staff should use hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Hand sanitizer is available throughout the building. Students may bring their own hand sanitizer.
- Individuals should cover coughs and sneezes with their elbow or a disposable tissue and clean hands immediately.
Cleaning and Disinfection
- Routine cleaning will occur.
- Visitors will be allowed in the buildings per District policy. Individuals are encouraged to stay home when sick.
*The above Safety and Operational Guidance is subject to change depending on the COVID landscape and as state guidance is adjusted.
D57 Stakeholder Feedback Opportunities this Fall
This fall, D57 families, staff, and students in grades 4-8 will have the opportunity to provide feedback through focus groups and surveys as part of the district’s equity audit. More information about this process will be shared with families in the coming weeks. Stay tuned!
At the July Board of Education Meeting, Assistant Superintendent for Finance and Operations Jason Kaiz presented financial projections and budget assumptions to the Board of Education. In August, the Board will vote to approve the tentative budget, and in September, the Board will vote to approve the official budget for the 2022-2023 school year. Mr. Kaiz’s presentation can be viewed by clicking here
New D57 Administrator Welcome
Please join me in welcoming Mrs. Keri Malow-Williams to the District 57 Family! Mrs. Malow-Williams will join the Lincoln Middle School Administrative Team as an Assistant Principal for Student Services. She will be joined by the new Lincoln Middle School Principal, Mr. Eric Larson, and returning Lincoln Middle School Assistant Principal, Mr. Randy Steen.
(Above) The District 57 Board of Education and Dr. Gorr with new Lincoln Assistant Principal, Keri Malow-Williams.
Thank you for taking the time to read this email. Have a great weekend!
In the Spirit of Education,
Dr. Mary Gorr
Superintendent of Schools
Mount Prospect District 57