July 6th, 2020
Dear District 57 Families,
I hope you and your family had an enjoyable Fourth of July holiday. I missed seeing many of you along the parade route! have some updates for you as we continue to prepare for the start of the school year:
- New Start Date: The first day of school has been moved to Thursday, Aug. 20. This does not change the student attendance calendar for the year. The 19th, when we were originally scheduled to start, will now be a state-approved planning day for staff.
- Survey and Next Steps: If you have not already done so, please take the Fall 2020 Survey at this link, by the deadline of tomorrow, July 7. This is not a binding survey, as we know that your intentions could change as the situation evolves. The survey is simply intended to help us prepare to meet the needs and desires of the community as we plan for the return to school. The administrative team and Staff/Administrator Task Force continue to develop our back-to-school transition plan, incorporating the state guidance that we recently received. We will present our plans to the School Board at its next meeting on Thursday, July 16. We will share a comprehensive overview with you after the meeting.
- Kids’ Corner: Registration for Kids’ Corner will open at 8 a.m. on Monday, Aug. 3. Due to the requirement of fewer than 50 people in a space, there will be a limited number of spots available this year. The spots will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Registration will be completed through the Community Pass system, as in the past. Families will need to use a credit card to pay the registration fees online. (The weekly fees can be paid by check or through Community Pass.) We will send additional information closer to the registration day. Please note that the District is in need of a Kids’ Corner assistant at Westbrook. If we are not able to fill that position, there will be fewer open spots for students at that school. If you are interested in the position or know someone who might be, see the job posting at this link.
- Transportation Reimbursements: The business office has finished issuing reimbursements for transportation (from last school year). If you do not receive a check or see a reimbursement on your credit card by July 15, please contact Nick Honcharuk at [email protected].
- New Positions in the Schools: The District is adding some positions in the schools to ensure we are as prepared as possible. We are hiring additional day custodians to help with cleaning and disinfecting each of the schools. We are also adding a health clerical assistant in each building to support the nurse with collection of health records, data entry, following health protocols, communicating to parents and staff, and managing health office traffic flow. Please help spread the word about these open positions. You can find information on our employment page at this link.
Dr. Elaine Aumiller
Superintendent of Schools